Tuesday, September 20, 2016

To house or not to house, that is the question.

So hubs and I have been married for almost 6 months - yay us! Well, we are currently in the state of what to do next. We don't want a baby - yet. So that's completely off the table, we don't even want to think about it. The Girl is enough for us and, honestly, we think we could be happy with just the three of us and our gaggle of cats plus dogs. 

Ever since my 11-year-old self went on a road trip with my aunt and sister, I've wanted to travel. My feet are not planted anywhere. This was intensified when my grandparents bought an RV and we (my sister and I) spent our vacations and weekends on road trips in the comfort of our home on wheels. I also married a man who has never had a true home. 

About 4 years ago I came across the idea of tiny house living and full-time RV living. If you don't know what this is, I'm going to link you to my favorite YouTube channel. It's called Less Junk, More Journey and it's an adorable family that travel full-time in their RV. 

Here's our reasoning for doing it and you, dear reader, are more than welcome to give me your thoughts: 
1. We hate Florida. Don't get me wrong, this is home. I've accepted that one day I will join the ranks of the old ladies in the Red Hat club that can't drive and should not be toting a dog around (in my case a cat). But for now we want to leave.
2. We like new places. We LOVE the idea of not staying in one place. If we hate the weather or the yard isn't big enough, we can pack up and leave. On to the next!
3. We LOVE the idea of educating The Girl with natural elements. For example, museums and state parks. Visits to libraries and seeing national monuments. How cool would it be to see the country in your own home!?
4. We have no real debt. The only debt looming over us right now are my student loans; yes, I have quite a few, but we could pay them on the road. We have 3 cars and all of which are paid off. 
5. My mom owns a home and his grandmother owns a home. If, and Jesus please don't think I want this to happen, something were to happen to them, we'd have two homes. We don't like the idea of owning three and trying to figure out where to live. So either we rent or buy our own home or we get an RV and travel.
6. I can teach online. I don't know if you've looked up online teaching options, but there are tons. FLVS is one of the best options for Florida teachers. My husband is a mechanic and there's a website specifically for mechanically inclined people to get work on the road. 
7. This is our last one and our biggest: my mom is eventually going to need us to support her. She's disabled and I don't foresee anything changing on that front. She plans to have her sister live with her to help her out when we move out, but she'll always need us. Not owning our own home would be beneficial because we'll probably need to live with her and the RV would allow us to travel and still have something that's ours.

So, what do you think? Could you live in a small space if the outdoors was your playground? Would you get sick of seeing your spouse everyday? Please let me know in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. You can do it! You should always be sure to give yourself time to yourself without your partner. Have a bubble bath and a glass of wine. It'll help! Know that while we're teachers we have summers off and you can start raising money to go on vacations and be able to travel. It'll be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small living yes---I vote for RV and travel. I think the key is to develop a space plan for the road. I think you can get a big enough RV to do it! So many options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small living yes---I vote for RV and travel. I think the key is to develop a space plan for the road. I think you can get a big enough RV to do it! So many options!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small living yes---I vote for RV and travel. I think the key is to develop a space plan for the road. I think you can get a big enough RV to do it! So many options!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Small living yes---I vote for RV and travel. I think the key is to develop a space plan for the road. I think you can get a big enough RV to do it! So many options!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First I want to say congrats! And secondly, yes! A thousand times yes! Go travel the country with the man you love, and enjoy the outdoors. There may come a time when you wont be able to do so, and might resent never even giving it a try. So I vote, if it's possible go for it and have a beautiful adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassie! Awesome Post :) "The Girl" is so cute, I loved being able to finally put a face to "the name." It seems like you have a lot of pros to why you should do the small living so why not go for it?? I have seen Tiny House Hunters on HGTV and its such an interesting concept and I knew someone who's son and his wife is doing the "tiny living" and they love it!

    ReplyDelete